With ice and snow just around the corner, now is the perfect time to plan a trip to fight the wintertime blues. You may prefer a cold-weather getaway or a tropical beach vacation, but this time of year is ideal for taking a trip. If you’re willing to travel, you’ll find smaller crowds, cheaper flights, and less expensive lodging. Here are some ideas that might fit your plans.
In the States:
- Go on a Wolf Discovery tour and cross-country ski in Yellowstone National Park.
- Stroll, snowshoe, or ski in Kennebunkport, Maine.
- Take part in world-renowned skiing, snowshoeing, snow biking, and snow tubing in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
- Catch the Northern Lights, ride a dog sled, and fly across the Arctic Circle in Fairbanks, Alaska.
And across the waters:
- Ride a reindeer-drawn sled, take a snowmobile trip, and check out the Aurora Borealis in Luosto, Finland.
- Enjoy the breathtaking beauty and visit the Up Helly Aa Festival in Shetland Islands, Scotland.
- Ski, shop, and enjoy the view of the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland.
- Go golfing or surfing in the Atlantic in Sagres, Portugal.
- Enjoy summer at the beach or explore the sun-drenched coastline in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
- Hike Table Mountain or browse Long and Kloof Street shops in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Take in the hiking and mountain biking in Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.
- Experience the Carnival and 100-degree summer heat at Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
There are opportunities, near and far, to cure the melancholy of cabin fever at home. Maine is a day’s travel and Colorado a couple, but why not go for an exotic adventure if you can? You can find virtually every type of climate to suit your fancy. Whatever you choose, plan for a change of pace that will create beautiful memories and make the wintertime blues seem like a distant memory.