Sr. Database Administrator – Insurance Analytics – Boston, MA
Daley And Associates is currently conducting a search for a Senior Database Administrator for a client who is a growing insurance analytics firm located in the Boston area. This Sr. DBA will be responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of database management systems at our client. This role is a hybrid, full-time opportunity.
Key Duties & Accountabilities:
- Oversee the installation, configuration, and maintenance of Microsoft SQL Server databases across different environments (development, test/staging, production).
- Oversee the administration, management, optimization and performance of our Microsoft SQL Server and Snowflake database environments, following industry best practices.
- Perform tuning, and troubleshooting ensuring the reliability, security, and efficiency of the critical data systems.
- Help design and implement new databases working closely with software engineers, data engineers and architects.
- Monitor and resolve any issues with ETL processes.
- Administer and manage the Snowflake cloud data platform, including database objects (databases, schemas, tables, views, etc.) and user access permissions.
- Proactively monitor and optimize database. performance by identifying and resolving bottlenecks, optimizing queries, indexes, and fine-tuning system configurations to ensure optimal database performance.
- Set up and maintain monitoring and alerting systems to proactively identify and address database issues related to performance, usage, and security in a timely manner.
- Be the subject matter expert and technical owner of the enterprise job scheduling function, related tooling, and enterprise SQL Server based ETL processes.
- Establish and manage robust disaster recovery and high availability strategies to minimize downtime and ensure business continuity.
- Plan and execute database upgrades and migrations to newer versions or hardware to keep the environment up-to-date and optimized. Conduct capacity planning assessments to predict future database resource requirements and ensure scalability.
- Investigate and resolve database-related incidents, working closely with development teams and other stakeholders to identify root causes and prevent recurrence to ensure smooth operations.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive documentation of database configurations, processes, and procedures.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to provide technical expertise, support projects, and guide software and data engineers on best practices for database utilization.
- Provide production support as needed and be available as an on-call support personnel, off-hours and weekends at times.
Education, Experience, & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.
- 5-10 years of proven experience as a MS SQL Server Database Administrator with at least 2 years at a senior/lead level.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server versions 2012+ and associated tools (SSMS, SQL Server Profiler, Performance Tuning Advisor, Best Practices Analyzer, etc.).
- Hands-on experience building, maintaining, and administering SSIS ETL packages and its runtime environment on SQL Server.
- Highly skilled and proficient in T-SQL.
- Hands-on experience with PowerShell and automation is highly preferred.
- Hands-on knowledge of cloud-based database services such as Snowflake, AWS/Azure RDS or similar, is highly preferred.
- Experience in implementing and managing High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions (Always-On Availability Groups, Log Shipping, etc.).
- Strong knowledge and experience with server hardware including OS, storage and related technologies.
- Proficient in database security best practices and regulatory compliance requirements (data de-identification, encryption, masking etc.).
- Experience in setting up and managing Snowflake security, including role-based access controls, encryption, and data masking is a plus.
- Knowledge in non-relational database technologies such as Azure NoSQL, MongoDB etc., is a plus.
- Proficiency in Confluence and Jira is preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to troubleshoot complex database issues effectively.
For immediate consideration, please email your resume to Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.